Monday, August 17, 2026

Reiger Park Shooting: Second Suspect to Appear in Court as Police Pursue Justice for Four Victims

                           Photo: EWN

The investigation into the fatal Reiger Park shooting that claimed the lives of two Anti-Gang Unit members and two civilian women has intensified, with a second suspect due to appear in the Boksburg Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 18 August 2026.

The latest development follows the arrest of a 24-year-old man in Reiger Park on Sunday, 16 August, during an intensive tracing operation conducted by a multidisciplinary team led by the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks), together with the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department (EMPD), SAPS Anti-Gang Unit and SAPS Flying Squad.

The incident occurred on Friday, 7 August, at approximately 19:30 in Reiger Park, Ekurhuleni. According to SAPS national spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe, the two Anti-Gang Unit members were part of a crime prevention team conducting patrols in the area when they heard gunshots.

The officers drove towards the source of the gunfire, where they were allegedly ambushed. Both members were fatally shot.

The two deceased officers were identified as Constables Thapelo Tlomatsane and Sphiwe Sibeko. Two civilian women were also killed in the shooting.

Following the attack, Gauteng Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Tommy Mthombeni mobilised extensive resources, including Crime Intelligence, the Provincial Tracking Team, Crime Scene Management and the DPCI.

The Acting National Commissioner of SAPS, Lieutenant General Puleng Dimpane, subsequently appealed to the Reiger Park community not to harbour those responsible for the killings.

Dimpane urged residents to share information with investigators, stressing that members of the community could hold crucial information about the attack and the whereabouts of the suspects.

“Our members are not just police officers. They are fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, sons and daughters who leave their homes every day knowing they may not return,” Dimpane said.

She later commended the Reiger Park community after the arrest of the second suspect, saying information provided by residents had assisted investigators in tracing him.

“This arrest is not only a victory for SAPS; it is also a demonstration of the power of a community that refuses to be silenced by criminals,” Dimpane said.

The first breakthrough came on Sunday, 9 August, when a multidisciplinary team arrested a 23-year-old alleged gangster and recovered two SAPS R5 rifles at KwaDukathole Informal Settlement in Germiston.

According to Hawks spokesperson Colonel Katlego Mogale, the operation involved the DPCI’s Serious Organised Crime Investigation, Gauteng Crime Intelligence Tactical and Special Operations, the Provincial Tracking Team, Tactical Response Team, Anti-Gang Unit and PRASA.

The first suspect, Reagan Cheslin Collis, 23, subsequently appeared in the Boksburg Magistrates’ Court facing four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances, as well as charges relating to the possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

His case was postponed to 25 August 2026 for a formal bail application.

Mogale confirmed on Monday, 17 August, that the second suspect is expected to appear in the Boksburg Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

The Acting National Head of the DPCI, Lieutenant General Sphesihle Nkosi, previously conveyed his condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the slain police officers, while emphasising that SAPS would continue pursuing those who target police officers and communities.

Acting Police Minister Firoz Cachalia also welcomed the second arrest, commending the multidisciplinary investigation and the Reiger Park community for assisting law enforcement.

Cachalia said the arrest represented another important step towards ensuring that everyone responsible for the loss of life is held accountable, while acknowledging the bravery of the two Anti-Gang Unit members and the devastating loss suffered by the families of the two civilian women.

The latest arrest comes as the SAPS continues to mourn the loss of Constable Tlomatsane, who was laid to rest in Limpopo on Sunday, 16 August, and Constable Sibeko, who was laid to rest on Saturday, 15 August.

Two suspects have now been arrested in connection with the killings.

The investigation remains ongoing and police have not ruled out further arrests as they work to establish the full circumstances surrounding the shooting and identify all those allegedly involved.

The SAPS and DPCI have reiterated their commitment to dismantling criminal networks, removing illegal firearms from communities and bringing those responsible for attacks on police officers and civilians before the courts.

Members of the public with information that could assist the investigation are urged to come forward and share it with the police.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lenasia power crisis: City Power response leaves key questions unanswered

Lenasia residents continue to face frustration over prolonged and recurring electricity outages, with concerns mounting over the...